College Savings: What professionals need to know
A college savings solution offering unique Michigan tax benefits and a wide range of investment options for over 20 years.
- A direct-sold plan well-suited to the priorities of financial professionals: Low expenses, a disciplined investment approach as well as support and services tailored to the needs of advisors.
- Maximum Michigan tax benefits: Tax-free growth and distributions when used for qualified higher educational expenses. The only direct-sold plan to provide a Michigan state tax deduction of up to $10,000 per year. Limitations apply.1
- Flexible use options to help minimize impact of changing client needs or priorities: Approved for a wide range of educational experiences, and expenses, can be used nationwide and at many schools abroad. Change eligible beneficiaries or simply withdraw assets.2
- A disciplined set of Investment Options: Full suite of self-adjusting Enrollment Year Investment Options that utilize a progressive glidepath creating a more gradual shift in asset allocation, along with six Multi-Fund and five Single Fund Investment Options and the Guaranteed Investment Option allowing for more control over allocations. Investment Options are managed by a dedicated 529 investment team and use funds from leading asset managers.
- Estate tax and legacy planning benefits:
- Estate tax exempt. Kiddie tax exempt. Generation skipping tax exemption eligible.
- Able to seed account with large upfront contribution—a lump sum gift of $85,000 if you’re a single filer or $170,000 if you’re married and pro-rate the gift over 5 years per the federal gift tax exclusion as of 2023.
- No limit on the number of accounts/beneficiaries.
- Account owner maintains control over assets.
- Simplified 529 account management: Access client data easily and quickly with Ascensus QuickView.
- Planning tools and sharable resources: For example, use our College Savings Calculator to explore funding scenarios considering age, contribution levels, school choice as well as your assumptions for ROI and cost inflation.
What can you do?
- Include college savings as part of your periodic goal discussions.
- Encourage your clients to have dedicated college savings accounts, as this may reduce the temptation to use retirement assets for college savings.
- Make sure college savings are invested in vehicles with appropriate risk-reward profiles, and that your clients take advantage of available tax benefits.
- Use our Enrollment Year Investment Options on their own or fine-tune their risk/global exposure by mixing with an allocation of our Multi and Single Fund investment options.
Need some help?
Give us a call877-861-6377
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 8:00 PM ET
For those with a hearing impairment, please contact us at the number above via a relay service. Translation services available upon request.
More to explore
Compare investment options
Explore a range of 529 investment options to help fit your financial needs and your savings goals.Discover your options
Calculate the cost of college
Calculate costs with the Michigan Education Savings Program college savings calculator.Use our calculator
See how savings add up
Use our calculator to get a quick estimate of how much you can save for education.Estimate savings